Endoscopy procedures are performed at Ankeny Medical Park Surgery Center which requires advance preparation by the patient in order to be successful. Those advance preparations are described below:
Colonoscopy Procedure Instructions
- Two days prior to your procedure try to eat light meals; the day before your procedure you should follow a clear liquid diet starting with breakfast, no solid foods or milk products.
Samples of Clear Liquids:
- Jello: plain, no fruit; no red or orange
- Soda: any kind
- Popsicles: no red or orange
- Boullion or Broth: must be clear (no noodles, rice, vegetables, or meat)
- Powdered Drinks: lemonade, Kool-Aid, crystal light or any juice without Pulp, no red or orange sports drinks such as Gatorade or Power Aid
- Coffee and Tea: NO CREAMER, MILK, OR SUGARS
- Follow the colon cleansing instructions given to you by your physician.
- Drink as many fluids as you can during the colon cleansing.
- Your colon cleansing should be finished 4 hours prior to your scheduled arrival time to the center.
- Please do not drink or chew anything (including water, gum, mint, etc.) for at least 4 hours prior to your scheduled arrival time to the center.
- If you take any diabetic medicine, such as insulin or pills, or, if you take any blood-thinning medicine such as aspirin, Coumadin (warfarin), or Plavix.
- Please check with your physician if there needs to be a change to your dosage of your medication, or if you have to stop a medication before your procedure.
Gastroscopy Procedures Instructions
- Please do not eat anything after midnight. You can drink up to four hours prior to your procedure, clear liquids only (black coffee, water, apple juice, or sprite)
- If you take any diabetic medications such as insulin or pills, or, if you take any blood-thinning medicine such as aspirin, Coumadin (warfarin) or Plavix, please check with your physician if there needs to be changes to your dosage, or if you have to stop a medicine before your procedure.
PLEASE NOTE: To ensure your safety, you must have someone to drive you home after any endoscopy procedure; if you don’t have a driver then your procedure will be canceled. If you take public transportation, you must have a reliable adult escort you home.